Information on Approved Animals on Campus

Things to know about Approved Animals at Northeastern

Members of the university community are required to abide by the following practices:

  1. They are to allow a Service Animal to accompany its Owner at all times and in all places on campus, except where animals are specifically prohibited.
  2. They are not to touch or pet a Service or Assistance Animal unless invited to do so.
  3. They are not to feed a Service or Assistance Animal.
  4. They are not to startle a Service or Assistance Animal, deliberately.
  5. They are not to separate or attempt to separate an Owner from his/ her Service or Assistance Animal.
  6. They are not to request details of the Owner’s disability. The nature of a person’s disability is a private matter.


Removal of Approved Animal

The  university may exclude/remove an Approved Animal when: (1) the animal poses a direct threat to the health or safety of others; (2) the animal’s presence results in a fundamental alteration of the  university’s program; (3) the Owner does not comply with Owner’s Responsibilities in properly caring for the animal on university property or (4) the animal or its presence creates an unmanageable disturbance or interference with the university community.



Owners of Approved Animals are solely responsible for any damage to persons or university property caused by their animals.


Areas Off Limits to Service Animals

The university may prohibit the use of Service Animals in certain locations because of health and safety restrictions (e.g. where the animals may be in danger, or where their use may compromise the integrity of research). Restricted areas may include, but are not limited to the following locations: custodial closets, boiler rooms, facility equipment rooms, research laboratories, classrooms with research/demonstration animals, areas where protective clothing is necessary, wood and metal shops, motor pools, rooms with heavy machinery, and areas outlined in state law as being inaccessible to animals. Exceptions to restricted areas may be granted on a case-by-case basis by contacting the Disability Resource Center and the appropriate department representative. The person in charge of the restricted area has the final decision.